Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Day 11

Making some last day preperations for the descent into the crypt.

Some notables:

City Court went well today. Better than expected. I'm excited and have a plan.
Superior court is complete, except to stand one last time before the judge and admit my guilt. No problem there.

I just last night, finished reading The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, the author of "No Country for old men". I haven't seen that movie yet and stopped by the library today to get the book instead. It also appears that the Road is being made into a film which can only dissapoint.

Get the book! I began reading at the coffeshop Quills on Sunday before church and finished it in just over 24 hours. It was intense. The prose superb. No doubt the story captivated me due to me seeing my world as scorched and decimated. At times, only the love for my offspring and their wellbeing fuels me for another day.

The Road follows a man and a boy, A father and his son, journeying together for many months across a post-apocalyptic landscape, a good few years after an unexplained great cataclysm has destroyed civilization and most life on earth. What is left of humanity now consists largely of bands of cannibals and their prey, refugees who scavenge for canned food or other surviving foodstuffs. Ash covers everything and the once great cities have been burned to the water line.

But the love between Father and his young son, especially given their distinct approaches to conflict resolution carry you along or at least it did me.

I'm starting "No country for Old Men" tonight.

Also picked up "The stuff of thought: Language as a window into human nature". Looks promising. Bestselling Harvard psychology professor Pinker (The Blank Slate) investigates what the words we use tell us about the way we think.

Think I'll make some eggs and rice tonight. Iced tea. Then end with a hot cup.
Sleep is returning to me and I'm feeling rested for the first time in weeks.

On a final note, as I was surfing for something to watch on the telle while I ate (I no longer have cable so it's a short surf) I came across TD Jakes and decided to listen. I caught the tale end, 10 minutes maybe of his sermon. But my butt was kicked hard in the right direction almost immedietly. I'm still chewing on the short excerpt but it was enough to bring me to tears and then, for reasons I've yet to explain, filled me with joy. Sometimes its good to lose cable and be left with all those grainy channels that can surprise you when you least expect it.

No comments: